On May 22 I posted “Australian hockey stick – whatever happened to the Great Barrier Reef coral time series ?”. On June 8 following some earlier analysis at CA Steve McIntyre posted – Gergis et al “Put on Hold”.
This got me thinking again about why there were no GBR coral proxies in Gergis et al – so on June 13 I put in a FOI request to University of Melbourne (UniMelb) and on 18 June an FOI request was sent to the Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) for emails to and from Gergis et al authors and the AIMS coral expert Dr J M Lough – going back to 1 Jan 2010.
This was the stand-out quote for me – here I was thinking for years that Steve McIntyre deserved a Nobel Prize for his years of hard work improving climate science – I needed a cup of tea after reading the quote below.
As with these FOI productions – there is a fair bit of duplication.
I have listed the main points that stood out for me but I am hoping other people will find others worthy of adding in comments.
First the Gergis emails oldest first –
- p 45 – Fascinating ref 3 Sep 2010 out of left field to this ppt by the staffer at Qld Govt water Dept DERM. Maybe some keen soul can see if the PowerPoint presentation can be found by FOI.
- p 41 – ref 27 Oct 2010 to funding by Fed Govt Dept.
- p 36 – ref to Hunter region 19C weather data.
- p 31 – another ref 3 May 2011 to possible Fed Govt funding.
- p 3 – ref at end of 13 June 2012 mail to UniMelb Public Relations Dept.
Second the Neukom emails –
- p 19 – mid July 2010 – numbered comments by Dr J M Lough –
In points 1 & 5 there are refs to certain coral proxies not revealing a “temperature signal” or “climate signal”. I wonder if this means the signal is “not what we expect”.
In point 5 – does anybody have more info on the Frank et al “noodle” paper?
Over to readers.