My attention has been drawn to this new research led by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and I have had a quick check of some of the facts.
Australia is 1.5% of global area – so 98.5% of the globe is also available to cause fluctuations in sea level.
Australia contributes 1% of global runoff according to this Wikipedia page – Water distribution on Earth. So I would ask – what happened in the other 99% during 2010-2011?
A quick read of their online article “Global sea level rise dampened by Australia floods – August 19, 2013″ revealed two statements that are at odds with facts as I know them.
The article states – “Now that the atmospheric patterns have snapped back and more rain is falling over tropical oceans, the seas are rising again. In fact, with Australia in a major drought, they are rising faster than before.”
Major drought!!! – not according to our Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) – for the 18 months 1 Jan 2012 to 30 June 2013 only very minor areas of Australia are in drought.
The NCAR authors also say the continent, on average, received almost one foot (300 millimeters) of rain more than average. The actual number according to the BoM page – “Australian climate variability & change – Time series graphs” is 240.3mm averaged over the two years 2010-2011. You expect more attention to accuracy from top scientists.
I hope readers can contribute other insights and observations.
I have been hunting for Australian and global runoff annual time series.